Tuesday, November 9, 2010

WTF? Really?

Ok, if there is one thing that I am absolutely anal about...it's my credit cards / debit cards.

Don't get me wrong, I have lost them a time or two as I was growing up, was half asleep, or simply just not paying attention.  I've experienced the gut curling cramps. I've experienced the rumbling volcano of bile that makes you want to wretch at the enormity of what could happen if the cards ended up in the wrong hands.

It's a horrible, faint inducing moment when you realize that they are gone....immediately followed by the race to get to the house, tearing through files trying to find all of the account and phone numbers necessary to call the banks and let them know what happened, and to beg them to fix it, fix it, FIX IT before some hedonistic opportunist can find them and buy a yacht!

So, imagine my surprise when I read this article.  Now not only did this woman have her wallet stolen while she was at work, BUT she also gave the crooks the pin number when they called her at work asking for her banking details.

Ok, so presuming that she didn't know that the wallet was gone by the time the crooks called (busy shift in the mattress store waking up the sleeping mattress testers??), why would you EVER consider giving ANYONE your pin number OVER THE PHONE?!

In an era when credit fraud is rampant....why? Why? Whhhhhhy???

There are times I just don't get people!  Seriously!

If you haven't read the article yet...feel free to click here.  Honestly, if you feel like you would be prone to do this, firstly, DON'T.  Secondly, if you feel prone to do this...read the article.  Please, Please!  Learn from someone else's mistake!!!

Have a great one!  =)

Jewell  =) xo

5 comments:

Ron said...

Hey Jewell - I cannot believe in this day and age people can be that...distracted! When my son...as a young child had moments like this (not credit card related, bu tsimilar) I would ask, "Have your brains fallen completely out?! Let's go find them!"

Yikes!

Be well,
Ron

Annie (Lady M) x said...

Eh up me lovely. I wouldn't worry about it so much if I was you. I have lost more credit cards than I can remember. Plus I have had a few stolen, and landed up with some bills for thousands.

The transactions are all insured by the bank, so they get refunded. But if you don't know that, it can be worrying. Don't tell me.... you have lost your credit cards?!

Jewell said...

Ron...yeah I know what you mean...mind boggling isn't it?

Annie...nah...not me...though I have to admit that I have known to lose track of my wallet or purse from time to time, but no...I'm good so far...all cards intact (unless one of the cats has snuck off with one to buy more expensive food) =) xoxo

Jenn said...

I don't get why you wouldn't question someone asking you for your pin?? HELLLOOOOOO!

Of course, someone did hack my ebay account once...talk about a nightmare!! We won't go there!!

Jenn.

Jewell said...

Jenn...I know right? I mean even if she wasn't aware that the stupid wallet was gone...why, why would you give that information out? It doesn't make sense!

Ugh...Ebay....I'm going to need to set one of those up one of these days....you better msg me with things I should know! =) LOL